Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Poland, a life in a country I'm from, but not really.

Moving to Poland did one major thing, it nearly-totally destroyed my Social Life as 80% of my friends (even today) live in the USA. The most difficult thing about being an Immigrant in your own country is that you can't really fall back on the things "normal" immigrants fall back on including the feeling of finding people like you. I am Polish and in Poland, but grew up in the USA, so I always feel left out here, and everyone expects me to speak Polish without an accent. It's hard to take living in a country seriously when you have to go 1,2, or 3 steps back in communication skills (Polish grammar sucks) in order to function in Polish society. Now, many people I know don't know a word of Polish (at least not anything besides swear-words) but I don't want to live like that. I actually think Poland is a very interesting place with terrible marketing. There are many opportunities here, but it's a very competetive market in the creative industry (as it must be globally) and it's been difficult for me to get any semblance of normalcy here, as I am employed as an English teacher, and it's just not a perfect fit for me. I wish I'd have time to finish Tato Jones (which I regard as unfinished) and send it out. I really should be working harder on getting a "real" job instead of just "hunkering down." When the economic crisis ends, no one knows, but one thing is clear the longer we continue down this path the sooner were all going to be miserable. (PS: I think this is by-far the longest response ever to a facebook post of mine).

1 comment:

koolfool said...

Hey, Martin, I am helping someone starting a comedy club in Waukesha, do you still have any contacts in Milwaukee?